Saturday, October 07, 2006

Just give me that old time religion...

From a post by Nicole Bell at my friend John Amato's Crooks and Liars, we find this vile crap masquerading as decency:
The big news recently is that the FDA has just approved a new vaccine supposedly to inoculate women against cervical cancer. Predictably, the media and health professionals are touting this as the greatest thing since the Salk vaccine, but they are also engaging in a propaganda campaign aimed at distorting the public’s perception of it. I for one will stand against what I consider this newest marriage of the culture of death with junk science, and I believe we all should. In the next few weeks I intend to examine a number of aspects of this Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) vaccine for the benefit of parents who may some day be coerced into getting their kids vaccinated with it.

Let me start by pointing out a few basic elements of this vaccine and its service as a tool of the culture of death.

. . .The most wretched hypocrisy of the promoters of this vaccine, however, is that, rather than calling it a vaccine against a couple strains of one of the dozens of sexually transmitted diseases, they are calling it a vaccine against cervical cancer. Well, it will certainly protect some women from cervical cancer in the future but that’s not the point.
No, Father Euteneuer, that's clearly not the point. In your bizzaro world, the point is:
This HPV vaccine, my friends, is a classic case of the culture of death playing fast and loose with people’s lives. They use junk science to hook our terribly un-reflective culture on a promise that will benefit only a miniscule portion of the population, and then the false perception of security surrounding their newest ruse hooks everyone else into behaviors and lifestyles that perpetuate the damage and decay our decency.

Ah, I see. Never mind that in fact some women will be saved from cancer, all that matters to you is that they might decide to have sex in a manner you find inappropriate. Words fail me, as I try to describe my loathing of your pompous misguided attempt to AAARRRGGGGHHH!

You bastard! You misguided lunatic! Helped any starving children in the Sudan, or Uganda lately? Helped any homeless folks, put on the streets by Reagan's evil policies? Or are you too busy worrying about every zygote that might be lost to God's Army, and every poor woman who might own her sexuality and not really care about your archaic outlook?

My sister died from uterine cancer, you jerk. Had she been given this vaccine, or some future variant, who knows, she might be alive today? Was she a bad person? I don't know, why don't you ask the choir director at the Catholic church she attended. Why don't you ask her nephews, who lost their beloved 'Aundie'? Why don't you ask the husband she never had? Why don't you ask the vast array of sexual partners she never had?

Or better yet, why don't you ask God why he took her, if she might have been saved by a simple vaccine?

I have written about Kristin many times, especially regarding this right wing lunacy. In this piece about the same topic, I pass on the old story, still relevant in this context:
The radio said there was going to be a flood, and people should evacuate. The man said, "God loves me, He will save me."

The flood came. A man came by in a boat to rescue the man. He said, "God loves me, He will save me."

A helicopter came to pick the man up. He said, "God loves me, He will save me."

The man drowned. When he got to Heaven, he asked God, "God, I am faithful, why did you let me drown."

God replied, "I gave you the radio, I sent the boat and the helicopter, what the f... more do you want from me?"

No comments: