- Honest: "As you know, I don't need to take any money from anybody. I have plenty of money myself. I will make the decisions for the people."
- Altruistic: "My relationship to power and authority is that I'm all for it. People need somebody to watch over them. Ninety-five percent of the people in the world need to be told what to do and how to behave." –in a 1990 interview with U.S. News
Voters will not consider any part of Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's landmark public works spending program on the June ballot after legislators failed Wednesday to agree on the size and shape of the proposal.
. . .
Republicans, for instance, wanted the bond deal to include new rules that would relax environmental regulations on levee repair, and new rules to allow more contracting out for school and highway building.
Many Democrats wanted money for environmental programs such as habitat protection and clean-fuel projects. Affordable housing was also on the table.
. . .
Republicans rejected the plan, saying it spent too much on such things as land preservation and clean-fuel systems for buses -- programs that were not considered part of the state's infrastructure.
More from the CSEA (California School Employee's Association, a union my mom belonged to for many years as an elementary school librarian):
Negotiations fell apart, partly due to the fact that the Governor and members of his own party have hinged their support for the bond package on the elimination of protections for working families, contracting out of school employees’ jobs and exemptions to the state’s basic environmental protection law. The conditions of the Republican’s support have been reported by Tom Chorneau of the San Francisco Chronicle.
. . .
Despite stating that the bond package was his highest priority, Governor Schwarzenegger spent the weeks before the deadline flying out of state attending various fundraisers as well as a bodybuilding conference in Ohio.
More quotes from the Austrian idiot, because, well, it just fun:
- "If they don't have the guts to come up here in front of you and say, 'I don't want to represent you, I want to represent those special interests, the unions, the trial lawyers ... if they don't have the guts, I call them girlie men." –describing Democratic lawmakers in California
- "All of a sudden, we see riots, we see protests, we see people clashing. The next thing we know, there is injured or there is dead people. We don't want to get to that extent." –on the dangers posed by gay marriage
- "That was another thing I will never forgive the Republican Party for. I was ashamed to call myself a Republican during that period." -on the Clinton impeachment
- "My friends don't want me to mention Kurt's name, because of all the recent Nazi stuff and the U.N. controversy, but I love him and Maria does too, and so thank you, Kurt." –on his friend and fellow Austrian Kurt Waldheim, a Nazi war criminal
Note: all Schwarzenfartzen quotes from http://politicalhumor.about.com/cs/schwarzenegger/a/aa080703.htm