Friday, February 29, 2008

Falling slowly, eyes that know me, and I can't go back

(Full disclosure: I'm not an Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences member, but I am a member of what used to be called National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences, now just referred to as the Recording Academy. Whatever.)

Film music can be pretty unique. Or it can be the lowest common denominator drivel, pounded out by jaded, calculating writers. Too often Oscar winning songs fall into the latter category. And with 3 truly awful songs nominated from "Enchanted" and a generic faux-gospel tune from "August Rush", it looked like that might happen happen. Not having seen any of the 3 films represented by the Best Song category, Pam & I looked at each other as they played the songs during the Oscars and said "Man, this is the best they could do?"

But then they did the song from "Once" called "Falling Slowly", and we both knew this was the one. And thankfully the Academy did the right thing. By not rewarding the hackery of Alan Mencken, Stephen Schwartz, and Disney, the Academy lifted up that small song from that small movie and rewarded unique and lovely songwriting.

Here are Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova performing "Falling Slowly" on Letterman last November:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was able to find good advice from your articles.

my webpage :: wealthwayonline.com