Tuesday, September 12, 2006

It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

Officially, now there's only one reason to watch or read anything on MSNBC: Olbermann. Why, you ask? I'll tell you.

Eric Alterman has been fired:
First, the bad news: I’m fired. MSNBC.com has decided to end its support of “Altercation,” and indeed, all of its association with yours truly as of this Friday.

Ok, now, the good news: My friends at Media Matters for America have decided that the cause of continuing “Altercation” in its current, politically independent form to be worthy of their support. So we’re not dying, just moving. Our new URL will be www.MediaMatters.org/Altercation and I will also become a MM Senior Fellow.

Eric is one of the sharpest knives in the drawer, smart, witty, and lovably sarcastic. And he has been kind enough to post some of my writings. In fact, the very first time I saw my name on a major internet location was when he posted a piece I sent him about the beginnings of the Country Rock scene here in L.A. in the mid-to-late '60s. My take was that it didn't start with the Flying Burrito Bros., but rather with Buffalo Springfield. But that's not important now.

Eric has a truly unique voice, which he now shares at Huffington Post (where, for reasons not entirely clear, I also am allowed to contribute), and his Media Matters gig promises to be really great, since there will be absolutely no constraints on what he may say.

And he always took the time to respond to emails I sent him, graciously, and has kept on posting stuff I send (not always, but still...) and giving me links. I guess I have to say that his influence and kindness, along with that of Tom tbogg, convinced me to start blogging myself. For that, Eric, my undying gratitude.

No comments: