Thursday, September 15, 2005

Help, I need somebody

Merriam-Webster:

Main Entry: can·cer
Pronunciation: 'kan(t)-s&r
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin (genitive Cancri), literally, crab; akin to Greek karkinos crab, cancer
1 capitalized a : a northern zodiacal constellation between Gemini and Leo b (1) : the 4th sign of the zodiac in astrology -- see ZODIAC table (2) : one born under the sign of Cancer
2 [Latin, crab, cancer] a : a malignant tumor of potentially unlimited growth that expands locally by invasion and systemically by metastasis b : an abnormal bodily state marked by such tumors
3 : something evil or malignant that spreads destructively cancer of hidden resentment -- Irish Digest>
4 a : an enlarged tumorlike plant growth (as that of crown gall) b : a plant disease marked by such growths
- can·cer·ous /'kan(t)s-r&s, 'kan(t)-s&-/ adjective
- can·cer·ous·ly adverb


Here's some cheery news
from OncoLink, at the U. of Pennsylvania:
The lifetime risk of any particular woman getting breast cancer is about 1 in 8 although the lifetime risk of dying from breast cancer is much lower at 1 in 28.

Twice in one week I'm posting about cancer. Last time was Bush v. Chemo, this time it's better news, sort of.

From Pam's cousin:

My dear friends and family:

I would like to share with all of you a very special and powerful event in which I will participate. October 21, 22, and 23 in Phoenix, AZ. It's called the Breast Cancer 3-Day, a 60-mile walk over 3 days to raise money for breast cancer. The net proceeds will support the combined efforts of the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation and National Philanthropic Trust (NPT) Breast Cancer Fund in their mission to fund access to care and find a cure for breast cancer.

I will walk with thousands over those three days, each with their own reason for joining in the challenge. I have my own reason; my friend has breast cancer. I'm going to walk because I've watched her lose weight, lose hair, lose strength and some days, lose hope. I'm going to walk because her students at Cal State Northridge will not have the fortune of her knowledge and guidance when they return to class this fall. I'm going to walk because of the many hours her friends, family and young daughter surround her with laughter and encouragement and the painful effort it takes her to stay awake long enough to remember what it was like to be well. I'm going to walk because she has shown me what brave is. I'm going to walk for Jennifer.

Each walking participant must raise $2,100, but I am hoping to contribute much more. Won't you please help me help Jen and the millions of others who are fighting and surviving breast cancer? I hvae enclosed a donation form and addressed stamped envelope. You may also donate on-line at www.The3Day.org by searching under my name. Whatever you choose to give, your donation is fully tax deductible and greatly appreciated!

Thank you all so much for taking the time to read this letter. I do hope that you will support me in this challenging and incredibly important adventure. Please contact me if you have any questions.'

My gratitude,

Kathy Matthews.
kathy.m.matthews@warnerbros.com

No comments: