Monday, March 31, 2008

When I Woke Up This Morning You Were On My Mind

Like SteveAudio still does, I used to do studio work, unlike Steve I worked only as an engineer.

I wanted to be a musician, I just could never afford the lobotomy. [/rimshot]

But seriously folks, I got over wanting to be a musician by age 17. I came to realize my true calling was as an engineer. And my first love was always live engineering.

There's just something about doing a live show that turned me on. In the studio you work for days, weeks, months on a project and hopefully you get a good product.

You can will spend hours going over the same 8 bars. And there's always the budget and deadline issues. You can make a mistake on the first day and have to live with it the rest of your life. (e.g. I occasionally hear one of the songs I recorded/mixed on the oldies station and I still cringe.)

But when you work live you get one shot at it. And when it's over you either blew it or killed. Usually somewhere in between. But regardless of that particular night's performance tomorrow is another day.

But some nights are special. You get the right band, the right equipment, the right audience, and it makes your hair stand up. It's just f***ing magic! And you know you were an integral part of it.

Live sound felt so good to me I left a gig as studio manager to work freelance live, at a 50% pay cut. At that time in my life the trade off was worth it.

I have a different job now, in a different state and in a much different industry, but when I woke up this morning I was thinking about some of my favorite bands I worked with at the China Club and The Troubadour. I'd like to present two of them to you.

So without further ado, ladies and gentlemen, please welcome SOY COWBOY!(Not just another Thai-Western band)

If that wasn't your cup of tea you might find this cover of Paint It Black more approachable.

For the second set tonight please give it up for Human Drama!

I like my current job, and I really got to hate all the traveling and persnickety crap from my old job, but I do miss the nights when everything was golden.

No comments: