Saturday, March 10, 2007

Music is a world within itself


My good friend skippy issued a good natured challenge about the definitive 200 albums list posted by NARM.

Thing is, NARM (Nat'l Association of Record Merchandisers):
"...is a not-for-profit trade association that serves the music retailing community in the areas of networking, advocacy, information, education and promotion."

Read the definition carefully.

"the music retailing community".

Not that that's a bad thing. I do a lot of work for artists who can afford to build studios because they make a living with their music. Some are millionaires, some less successful. But because they make a living, they can pay me to do the work that I do.

But NARM shouldn't be confused with the Grammy's...wait, that's not a fair analogy. NARM is about sales, not art. It's really that simple. So their inclusion of Shania Twain's album in the top 200 has absolutely nothing to do with its artistic merit and everyting to do with sales.

The picture on the NARM site makes me a bit homesick. Capitol Studios was my home for 5 years, and I know those walls well. But let's look at the list.

My friend skippy is just wrong about Pink Floyd being miles above The Beatles. Sorry, dude. And while I agree with him about "Thriller", I find fault with Santana: "Supernatural". Lovely album, not top 200 material as far as art.

And "Grease: Soundtrack"? WTF? Sure, it's a cute movie and Broadway show, but the music is Four Seasons/Shirelles soundalike tracks. C'mon. It sold a boatload of units, but isn't everlasting art.

Check it out, have fun with it, bitch at it. It's all about the $$, not the art.

Oh, and "Slippery When Wet"? Gawd!

No comments: