Such has been the patient sufferance of [our country]; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present [king george] is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.We hold these truths to be self evident.
- He has refused his Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.
- He has forbidden his Governors to pass Laws of immediate and pressing importance
- He has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large districts of people
- He has made [United States Attorneys] dependent on his Will alone for the tenure of their offices [while encouraging them to deny the will of the People]
- He has affected to render the Military independent of and superior to the Civil Power
- He has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving his Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation
- For depriving us in many cases, of the benefit of Trial by Jury
- For taking away our Charters [Kyoto, International Criminal Courts, Anti-Ballistic Missiles]
- He is at this time transporting large Armies of foreign Mercenaries to compleat the works of death, desolation, and tyranny, already begun with circumstances of Cruelty & Perfidy scarcely paralleled in the most barbarous ages, and totally unworthy the Head of a civilized nation.
In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.
Happy Independence Day. Let the fireworks begin.
(Cross posted at Vidiotspeak)