Saturday, November 22, 2008

I will follow

There's been some bitching in the progressive bloggersphere that the new Obama administration hasn't been picking real progressives for senior positions. Emanuel, Clinton, etc., represent, to some, not "Change" but business as usual. At least they have 'D' after their names.

But I'm not too worried. I think 2nd & 3rd tier positions, where most of the policies will actually be written, are often more important than the figureheads. We'll see.

But I'm encouraged today by this from Pres.-elect Obama, in his Saturday address:


"I have already directed my economic team to come up with an Economic
Recovery Plan that will mean 2.5 million more jobs by January of 2011
– a plan big enough to meet the challenges we face that I intend to
sign soon after taking office. We'll be working out the details in
the weeks ahead, but it will be a two-year, nationwide effort to
jumpstart job creation in America and lay the foundation for a strong
and growing economy. We'll put people back to work rebuilding our
crumbling roads and bridges, modernizing schools that are failing our
children, and building wind farms and solar panels; fuel-efficient
cars and the alternative energy technologies that can free us from our
dependence on foreign oil and keep our economy competitive in the
years ahead. "

Sounds pretty damn progressive to me.

No comments: