Monday, September 08, 2008

Don't call me Ni&&er, Whitey

Georgia Republican Rep. Lynn Westmoreland used the racially-tinged term "uppity" to describe Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama Thursday.

Westmoreland was discussing vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin's speech with reporters outside the House chamber and was asked to compare her with Michelle Obama.

"Just from what little I’ve seen of her and Mr. Obama, Sen. Obama, they're a member of an elitist-class individual that thinks that they're uppity," Westmoreland said.

Asked to clarify that he used the word “uppity,” Westmoreland said, “Uppity, yeah.”
And while confirming his statement he said
I’ve never heard that term used in a racially derogatory sense. It is important to note that the dictionary definition of ‘uppity’ is ‘affecting an air of inflated self-esteem -- snobbish.’ That’s what we meant by uppity when we used it in the mill village where I grew up.
Yep, I'm sure that little GEORGIA town that he grew up in during the 1950's only used the Oxford dictionary definition. Yeah, I heard that same word phrase when I lived in the North and traveled thru the South in the 60's.

Well there you have it. I want to think McCain & Co have seriously miscalculated the pitch of this dog whistle, but maybe it's just as calculated as it is shameless. e.g. where are all the calls for McCain and the RNC to denounce Westmoreland!?

...crickets ... crickets ... crickets.

As much as the WATB scream sexism about Palin, they're the ones who want to make women, GLBT's and people of color second class citizens.

Bastards. Cracker bastards. (And by 'cracker' I mean "1. a thin, crispy whitebread biscuit."




Cross posted at VidiotSpeak

No comments: