McCain is the oldest person to ever run for President; Sarah will be a heartbeat away from being President.Update: For those who want more information, here is an excellent run down at the Huffington Post.
There has to be literally millions of Americans who are more knowledgeable and experienced than she.
However, there’s a lot of people who have underestimated her and are regretting it.
Claim versus Fact:
* “Hockey mom”: true for a few years
* “PTA mom”: true years ago when her first-born was in elementary school, not since
* “NRA supporter”: absolutely true
* Social conservative: mixed. Opposes gay marriage, BUT vetoed a bill that would have denied benefits to employees in same-sex relationships (said she did this because it was unconstitutional).
* Pro-creationism: mixed. Supports it, BUT did nothing as Governor to promote it.
* “Pro-life”: mixed. Knowingly gave birth to a Down’s syndrome baby BUT declined to call a special legislative session on some pro-life legislation
* “Experienced”: Some high schools have more students than Wasilla has residents. Many cities have more residents than the state of Alaska. No legislative experience other than City Council. Little hands-on supervisory or managerial experience; needed help of a city administrator to run town of about 5,000.
* Political maverick: not at all
* Gutsy: absolutely!
* Open & transparent: ??? Good at keeping secrets. Not good at explaining actions.
* Has a developed philosophy of public policy: no
* A “Greenie”: no. Turned Wasilla into a wasteland of big box stores and disconnected parking lots. Is pro-drilling off-shore and in ANWR.
* Fiscal conservative: not by my definition!
* Pro-infrastructure: No. Promoted a sports complex and park in a city without a sewage treatment plant or storm drainage system. Built streets to early 20th century standards.
* Pro-tax relief: Lowered taxes for businesses, increased tax burden on residents
* Pro-small government: No. Oversaw greatest expansion of city government in Wasilla’s history.
* Pro-labor/pro-union. No. Just because her husband works union doesn’t make her pro-labor. I have seen nothing to support any claim that she is pro-labor/pro-union.
crossposted at Rants from the Rookery